In 2011-12 the government launched its Pupil premium funding. This money is sent to schools based on the number of pupils in the school who are eligible for Free Schools Meals (FSM) , the number of children who are in care and pupils who belong to forces families. From 2012-13, it has been expanded to include all children who have been eligible for FSM within the last 6 years( the Ever 6 formula).
This money is allocated to schools to ensure pupils reach their full potential, both academically andsocially.
At The Weaver we ensure that day to day teaching meets the needs of each learner and that clear and useful feedback is given to help pupils achieve their best and know how to improve. Quality first teaching is our first step into ensuring progress for all groups of learners including those with the pupil premium attached to them.
The money has been used to fund several activities and interventions:
- Emotional support counselling
- After school sports clubs for drama, sport ,dance
- Swimming lessons
- Art club
- Educational visits
- Educational residential visits
- Music tuition
- Booster groups
- 1:1 and small group support
The aims of the interventions and activities are:
- To raise pupil achievement and narrow the gap between the achievement of vulnerable pupils and their peers.
- To maintain excellent attendance and punctuality.
- To increase participation in after school clubs and music lessons and provide access to the full curriculum, including enrichment opportunities for all pupils.
- To develop self- confidence, motivation and relationships with peers
- To engage with school and enjoy access to out of school activities
- Become more independent
- Develop a wider range of skills and talents and to -raise self- esteem and self belief.
If your child does not currently have Free School Meals, but you feel they may be eligible, please contact the school office (in confidence) to register them. Even if you do not wish them to have the meals, the school could still claim Pupil Premium Funding which could be used to help your child.