What does the Governing Body do?
The Governing Body is not to manage the school on a day-to-day basis - that is the role of the Head Teacher. The Weaver Governing Body is a voluntary body of people who give their time and expertise to support the Head Teacher in her delivery of the school’s commitments and targets. The term that best describes a Governor’s role is to be a “critical friend” to support and challenge in equal amounts where necessary to ensure the best for the school with the resources that are available.
The role of the Governing Body is to:
• Set the broad strategy for the school’s development
• Be accountable to those who established and fund the school, to parents and the wider community
• Act in accordance with requirements laid down in acts of Parliament, statutory regulations and the school’s Instrument of Government
• Act fairly at all times and without prejudice
How does the Governing Body operate?
• The governing body is a corporate entity and acts as a group.
• The governing body works as a team within agreed parameters and terms of reference
• Each governor has an equal right to participate and to state his/her views whilst respecting the views of others
• Once a decision is made by the governing body all governors are bound by and should be loyal to that decision (including decisions by committees with delegated powers)
• Governors, even though they may be elected or appointed by different groups are not delegates
The purpose of the Governing Body is to provide the best education for their pupils by:
• Setting the school’s values, vision and strategic aims, agreeing plans and policies and making creative use of resources
• Monitoring and evaluating performance, acting as a “critical friend” to the headteacher, to support and challenge them in managing the school
• Ensuring that the school is accountable to the children and parents it serves, to its local community, to those who fund and maintain it as well as the staff it employs
If you would like to contact the Chair of Governors, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively you can send a letter to:-
Mr Andrew Cliffe
Chair of Governors
Weaver Primary School